Moses reminded Israel of their humble beginnings,
“Your fathers went down to Egypt with seventy persons, and now the LORD your God has made you as the stars of heaven in multitude” (Deuteronomy 10.22).
Roughly four hundred years later, the family numbered at least three million!
The tribes of Israel began as seventy people when they first went into Egypt, but later their fighting force numbered 603,550, and that number excluded the entire tribe of Levi, and anyone else not a warrior. Thus wives, children, and old people were not in that number.
See the mighty things our God can do!
- Deuteronomy 7.1 – Seven nations in Canaan before Israel (sevensinthebible.com)
- Numbers 33.9 – Seventy palm trees (sevensinthebible.com)
- 2012 in review (sevensinthebible.com)
- Deuteronomy 5.12 – 15 – The Sabbath is the seventh day of the week (sevensinthebible.com)
- Sermon: The Ultimate New Year’s Resolution, Deuteronomy 8 (grantspasschurchofchrist.com)
- Sermon: Shammua and His Brethren, Numbers 13 and 14 (grantspasschurchofchrist.com)
2 thoughts on “Deuteronomy 10.22 – Israel began as seventy people”